Explorer Insurance Company Announces Safeguards for California Policyholders Due to the Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Carrier Suspends Reporting Requirements and Cancellations due to Non-Payment
San Diego, CA – March 19, 2020 – Explorer Insurance Company, a member of ICW Group Insurance Companies, a leading national carrier, announced today that it is implementing safeguards through June 1, 2020, for all policyholders in light of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and emergency declarations. This action will ensure there is no lapse in coverage during this time.
“Our hearts go out to those impacted by the Coronavirus (COVID-19), either directly or indirectly. Our thoughts are with you. With this pandemic impacting so many people across the world, it’s truly a challenging time,” stated Kevin Prior, president and CEO of ICW Group. “Our concern for everyone’s health and safety remains our top priority. We want to ensure our customers’ peace of mind and are fully committed to safeguarding their insurance coverage during this difficult period.”
Effective immediately, ICW Group has enacted the following directives:
- Moratorium on cancellations and non-renewals for any notice issued on or after March 18, 2020, on any in-force policy. Additionally, no new notices will be issued to policyholders through June 1, 2020, or later if deemed reasonable.
This timeframe is beyond the current California 60-Day insurance premium grace period called for by California Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara, which only extends a moratorium until May 15, 2020. See the March 18 Notice from the Commissioner.
- This action includes refraining from using the expiration of policyholders’ driver’s licenses or vehicle registrations for 60 days, from March 16, 2020, for any of the following reasons:
- To affect a driver’s ability to secure and maintain auto insurance coverage;
- To affect a driver’s eligibility for a Good Driver discount;
- To determine eligibility for a California Low Cost Automobile policy;
- To impact the rates charged to any driver.
- Availability of California’s Department of Insurance. Please be advised that your state’s Department of Insurance is available if you need assistance. Call the California DOI’s toll-free hotline 800.927.4357, where you can learn more information and on filing a complaint regarding any national emergency-related dispute or issue.
About ICW Group
Based in San Diego, ICW Group Insurance Companies is the largest privately held insurance company domiciled in California. Quoting more than $3 billion annually, ICW Group represents a group of Property, Auto and Workers’ Compensation insurance carriers, including Insurance Company of the West and Explorer Insurance Company. ICW Group is recognized nationally as an industry leader in helping policyholders achieve fewer and less costly claims, and is committed to meeting the needs of its policyholders and elevating the trusted agents and brokers who advise them. For more information, visit ICW Group’s website, Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook pages.